They come from a small mountainous region in Mexico, only once a year. They are a small berry that has dried to a bean-like appearance. The jumping action comes from a small harmless caterpillar that flicks around inside. It will eventually hatch out as a little moth. They react to light, temperature and vibration. If you move them they'll stop jumping but start up about 20 seconds later after they are still again. They jump less during the evening, and when they get cool. The warmer they are, the more they wiggle causing them to eventually hatch.
We went into a little local pet store just to scope it out. Blake saw the little display of jumping beans and was totally excited about them. He said, "Mom, I want to get some, they're only $1 (for 3 beans) and I'll pay you back." The guy that works there put his hand in the display, took out another container and said, "You know what? Merry Christmas, have two!" Blake was practically jumping around himself!
Right now, the beans are in their little plastic container making clicking noises as they jump around. It's very funny and Blake is having a lot of fun!


3 comments:
How fun!!
hey - how are the jumping beans doing now? Are they still alive and jumping? I LOVE those things!
Well, they're not jumping right now, but I know they're still alive. They just need to be refrigerated for a while.
Post a Comment