Tuesday, July 3, 2007

I'm DATING, people!!!

Talk about SCARY!!! This is a long update because it's a BIG deal to me...normally the coward of the world...and I have to share almost every detail...this is my version of a journal, after all.

So there's a guy at work that I have long thought was cute. When Blake left for Mexico, I thought, "You know, I have some free time here, and I've been wanting to get out and date a little." So I spent weeks flirting with the idea of asking Michael out...but really wishing he'd just ask me. I talked with a coworker, Colleen, who works with Michael up in reception every day (whereas I work between the front and back, but mostly in the back with clients and patients). I asked if she knew if he was seeing anyone. She said that he had said something about seeing girls in the past, but she didn't think he was seeing anyone right now. Then, she actually said, "I think he might be gay. Why, do you have someone you want him to go out with?" She looked at my face, then said, "YOU want to go out with him?" Yeah.

So Colleen tried to help me ask Michael out every day by calling me a chicken when I didn't do it...I really do love her!!! Two Thursdays ago I said "Colleen, I've decided I just can't do it, I'm a coward. She said, "chicken" and I told her I'd gladly cluck around the yard all day long, but I just couldn't ask Michael out. Then the three of us were talking about college and music and I discovered that Michael was in choirs, including jazz, in high school and then was a music major in college, until he thought "what am I going to do with this degree? TEACH?" and then switched majors...this should sound a little familiar to people who know my college past. Michael went into the back, to boarding, which he is the team leader of, along with the reception work he does regularly. All of a sudden...I don't know where this came from...I went back and said, (condensed version) "Michael, I was wondering if you'd be interested in going to the Live at 5 concert in the park tonight." He said, "yeah." So we made our plans to meet and I walked right up to Colleen and said, "You can't call me a chicken anymore!" She was VERY PROUD of me. :D

So we went and had a really great time sitting in the grass with Veyda, talking for four hours about everything. When we parted to go to our cars, we said "that was fun" he said "thanks for inviting me" and "we should do it again sometime". So last Thursday I was bummed, cause I would have asked him to go to the concert again, but I had previously volunteered to cover the evening shift. Colleen and I had discussed everything, of course, and we figured that Michael was even more shy about the dating thing than I was, so I'd have to ask him out again if it was going to go further. I got to meet his little baby doggy (ok, she's an adult dog) on Friday when he brought her in for her annual exam & vaccinations. She's a cocker spaniel mixed with something like a golden retriever, but she's the size of a cocker...and she's totally cute! She's terrified of coming to the clinic and will fear-bite, but Michael says that's pretty much the only time she's a "little brat."

On Sunday I took my doggies to work...only boarding people are there for evening walks/feeding/etc with an hour for pick-ups and drop-offs...and I knew Michael would be there, since it's basically his show. I gave my girls a bath...made them all sparkly and shiny and beautiful...and while I was letting them dry a little in a kennel, I went up to the front where Michael was. :) I can be a sneaky little thing...but I am genuine.

ANYWAY, I asked him what he does on Sundays, while I checked PetPortals as my excuse to be up front...just enjoying being around him. He said "mostly paperwork", and then as he was shifting some of said paperwork around, he said (this part was so shocking to me that I've forgotten the exact words) "I was wondering if you would be interested in going to see the fireworks on Wednesday night. I haven't been in years and I think it would be fun to go." I nearly fell off my chair, people! I'm afraid I may have been a little over-eager in my "yeah, that sounds great!" response...but apparently I didn't scare him too badly. "The fireworks start at 10, but it's good to get down there early to get a good spot and enjoy the fun." We decided to make plans on Monday at work, and since we happened to have the same schedule that day, we got to sit together in the lounge and eat our dinner for a little while. He's going to call me after a family barbecue which starts at noon, and then come pick me up.

Hello!? I have a second date and I didn't even have to ask! He's sweet and adorable and my friend Jennifer calls him nerdy...and I like him. I kind of met his mother and one of his sisters today when they brought a plant over for Colleen and I was doing some PetPortals work up front. She had asked me, "now which Amanda are you...the one with the 9-year-old, or the new one?" For the first time in my life, I have to regularly wonder who they're calling for when I hear my name...it's almost too much for me to handle! I don't know how Jennifer's do it! So anyway, I said, "yeah, I have a 9-year-old", thinking, why does this nice lady that I've never seen before know anything about me? I didn't get who they were until she said to Colleen "if you want any more, I'll get them to you through Michael." Ooooh.

And Dad, in response to your regular question "what ward is he in?"...he's not in the mental ward or even Montgomery Ward. He is very religious, but I'm only sure he's not a Muslim, a Jehovah's Witness or a Seventh Day Adventist and I'm reasonably certain he's not Catholic. I have nothing against any of those religions...I'm just reporting the facts as I know them. And to ease ALL of your minds...I can read them, of course...I release you from the need to give me advice. I already know...take it slow...NOT A PROBLEM!!! Remember what I've gone through and understand that I am a different person with new fears and real emotional independence...also my shiny new temple recommend in my purse. Plus I don't have time for something serious...especially once Blake gets home. I am free to have fun, and I'm going to do that.

Okay, so here's some pics of my dogs tonight. I got some acepromazine, which is a nice little sedative that a lot of people have been requesting for the holiday. I got it because they'll be at home alone during the fireworks, and I don't know how they'll react to the explosions...I don't want to take a chance that they'll be really scared and hurt themselves. So I tried it out tonight to make sure I give them the proper dosage before I ditch them for my date. They're laying around like they're dead...and when I talk to them, they want attention, so they struggle to their feet and do the drunk walk to where I am and then collapse...while I'm laughing HYSTERICALLY at my drugged dogs! They're completely hilarious! Their third eyelids are halfway up while they struggle to walk and look at me every time I laugh...I just hope they're able to eat dinner and go potty before bed. This is so funny! At least I can be reasonably sure they'll be ok.


Side notes:
  • I read all my books lately by audio...don't have the attention span to just read...even before bed.
  • I'm trying to learn Scottish Gaelic with this cool free online course thing.
  • I'm addicted to Norah Jones and stand-up comedy.
  • Biofeedback Therapy is a wonderful thing in my life.
  • I get to study (on the clock) to become a Hills Veterinary Nutritional Advocate.
  • Grandmommy is doing really well, and has a friend named John who is concerned about her when she's under the weather and calls me at home to make sure I know about it, and to make sure she's up to having him call her.
  • I took the weight loss counter off my blog because I haven't been losing any weight. I only trust my mirror, which shows me that I'm losing fat and building muscle.
  • I have friends who encourage me to get out of the house...too much lately...I need to spend the rest of the night cleaning up the clutter from the last few weeks of work/play/sleep but no housework.
  • I'm having a yard sale on the 14th for sure, and maybe the 7th, if I can get someone to help me. I LOVE not being a pack rat anymore!!!
I hope you have enjoyed your little peek into my world...of weirdness...hehehe.

4 comments:

nAnnie Laurie said...

sounds like you're having a wonderful life! you rock! I'm excited for you - when you get a photo of your guy, post it 'K? i love you :)

Emily Marie said...

All I have to say is WOW, and I am glad you didn't meet online....;) Also glad to hear you aren't a packrat anymore! Good luck with the yard sale.

A monkey and her momma said...

HOO-FREAKING-RAY!!!! EVERYTHING! DATING, CLEANING, GG (and john ;)), AND YOUR MUSCLE GAIN!! YAY MANDA! I LOVE YOU!

Olivia Heilmann said...

Mina, Mina she's our gal...if she can do it...GREAT!