Saturday, February 10, 2007

Second Day in Singapore

Not a lot of words today, so you get an OVERLOAD on pictures instead. Just click on them to enlarge. We saw a ton of things and snapped more pictures than I usually do. I'm apparently not very good at photography...focusing and lighting and such (finger in a shot!?) ...so enjoy, if you can. :)

This morning we got up rather slowly and then putzed around until noon. Then we taxied over to Hard Rock Singapore, where they sang to me and gave me a free dessert...I totally hated it all...NOT. Mom and Dad had a cherry-stem mouth-tying contest, which Mom won by half a second. Hard Rock Cafe is fun, and most of you have been there...Singapore is really no different from any other, so we move on.


Next we went to the Botanical Gardens and immediately stopped in the gift shop. Some beautiful stuff in there. Then we walked in the rain forest...we wanted to see the flying lemurs that have been spotted there...but no luck. We did, however, see a lot of interesting trees and plants (awesome root systems!) and heard a lot of cicadas. We didn't see very much of the Gardens yet, because we took a detour into the Orchid Garden, which is part of the Botanical Gardens and then we were tired. We spent a lot of time with the orchids and bromeliads, which were beautiful and exotic. The VIP Orchids are hybrids that have been named for famous people that have touched a lot of lives, such as Princess Diana or visited the Botanical Gardens, as royalty and government officials. Also, there was a coolhouse with some carnivorous plants...Blake's favorite...see if you can spot them all. Mom got some really excellent pictures, so you can appeal to her to see more if you don't get enough here. And since the exit, like most here, is another gift shop, we stopped there, too. :)



We've been eating the cakes slowly...a few bites here and there...they're all delicious. Blake and Dad went down to the pool and Mom and I followed later. We played with the new pool toys that we got on the way home at Toys R Us and I finally got up the guts, for the first time in my life, to open my eyes underwater. I wanted to see the toys I was diving for. A weird experience, but I was very proud of myself. The pool here is very lightly chlorinated, so it doesn't make me suffocate and I have really been able to enjoy my time in the water. It's been a long time. I've been practicing diving and trying unsuccessfully to teach Blake how to do it. He's really cute at all his attempts, though.


At night we went to a karaoke place where you have your own room, which is only $18/hr to rent, with a really nice karaoke setup. They have two microphones, a couch, two stools and a table, on which they set free snacks (chips and watermelon...Blake's fav!) and you order drinks and other food from their little menu. It's not a bar, so it doesn't matter how old you are. You pick from HUNDREDS of songs and artists...such as Josh Croban...hehehe. We were there for about an hour and a half and Blake started falling asleep so we went home.

I had to use the facilities before we left and discovered for the second time that I had to use a squatty-potty. The first time, yesterday at Great World City, I discovered after it was too late, that I had rushed into the only squatty in the room. A squatty-potty is shaped pretty much like a regular toilet, but lies flush with the ground and you stand over it. Only this time, there was no toilet paper or anything that could be used as toilet paper or any place they could PUT any kind of paper product, anywhere in sight. Luckily there WAS soap. Dad says that many people are used to using squatties and at his work, there are actually signs that say "Please don't squat on sitting toilets", but sometimes you still find footprints on the seats.

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

That is so funny! I saw the same thing in China. (Footprints on the seat.) We love sitting all together and reading up on what is happening there in Singapore. Julian is so excited to go, it is really fun. We love you...keep it up.
P.S. I want to keep your Puppy. She is so much fun and so sweet and snuggly. She gets really excited when I come home. Even if Tim is already there.